No venue in the world conveys the atmosphere and acoustics of a Baroque court opera house quite as authentically as this one: The Margravial Opera House has been a UNESCO world heritage site since 2012.
A Baroque artwork
The Margravial Opera House in Bayreuth was built between 1746 to 1750 by the leading theatre architect in Europe, Giuseppe Galli Bibiena, and his son Carlo. In 2012, UNESCO made the opera house a world heritage site as the most significant and best-preserved example of a Baroque theatre.
The Margravine’s pet project
The Margravine Wilhelmine of Brandenburg-Kulmbach wanted to turn Bayreuth into a brilliant cultural metropolis, and commissioned the building as part of her efforts. She was especially passionate about music.
On a level with Europe’s best
Lavish use of gold in the decoration defines the auditorium. In the center is the royal box. Where the building’s size and magnificence were concerned, the art-loving Wilhemine looked to the great European festival theatres of her era in Vienna, Dresden, Paris and Venice as models.
Baroque music and theatre