Naqsh-e Jahan Square in the central Iranian city of Isfahan has for centuries embodied the oriental essence of Iran’s art and culture.
Constructed between 1598 and 1629, during the Safavid era, Naqsh-e Jahan Square has for centuries been known as the highlight of Iranian urban and architectural designing.
Naqsh-e Jahan, meaning the “Image of the World” in Persian, was designed by architecture maestros Mohammadreza Esfahani and Ali Akbar Esfahani. It is also referred to as Imam Square and Shah Square.
The square, which is one of the largest city squares in the world (560 meters long and 160 meters wide), is surrounded by four architectural monuments including the Imam/Shah Mosque on the southern side, the Ali Qapu Palace on the western side, Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque on the eastern side and Qeisaria gate on the northern side.
The four monuments are located at the center of two-storey arcades of traditional bazaars with hundreds of shops selling masterpieces of Iranian handicrafts and other local products.
The open space of the center of the square is currently ordained with a massive turquoise pool and green area.