Located 70 km from Algiers – capital of Algeria – is the coastal town of Tipaza. With vestiges of the ancient Punic and Roman civilization, the city has been listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Tipaza was an ancient Punic trading-post founded in the 5th century BC. The city’s name, which means “place of passage “or” stop, was also inspired by early Phoenicians. But after being conquered by Ancient Rome, it was turned into a military colony by the emperor Claudius for the conquest of the kingdoms of Mauretania.
The modern Tipaza is the capital of the Tipaza Province in Algeria. It was founded in 1857. This Berber-speaking coastal town is now famous for its sandy beaches and ancient Roman relics.
The archaeological site of Tipaza contains various relics: the remains of a Basilica, cemetery, baths and an Amphitheatre.